dinsdag 2 juni 2009

Rig Demo




It has taken some time, but finaly the rigging system is ready for demonstration. I really learned A LOT making these scripts. Especially making the FK<>IK switching work meant researching how maya handles IK and FK and then making them match.
It also meant thinking a bit beyond just simply applying proven methods you can find on the internet. Because I had a very specific idea about how I wanted this system to work, I had do adapt the rest of the scripts to that. And since I had to find my own constructions that also made me think about the best solution for the end users, the animators. The main idea is to keep the screen clutterfree with as few controllers as needed while allowing the animator maximum controll. Also the most important part in any character, the spine, had to be carefully constructed. It needed to be flexible and allow independant chest and hip control. But most importantly, it needed to be solid; maintain its length.
The system itself is extendable so I can customise the rigs fully to the clients` wishes and incorporate new limbs all together. I based this first set of limbs on a biped-character, so now pretty much any character with any number of arms, legs, fingers, etc. would be built in no time. But limbs like fins, wings and tails are also possible once the scripts are done.
The facial rig is very limited right now, but is under development in my spare time.